Thoughts from the BallPark: Phils take 2 of 3 from the Braves as NL East race tightens
8/13/2007 1:26 AM
Byline: Mike Cunningham
What a great game tonight. 3 games this week... 3 and 0, thank you very much. The Phils went 4 and 2 this week.
- Walking up to the ballpark, you could hear the excitement from the crowd. I turned to my Dad. "It feels like the playoffs." I can only guess... since I've never been to the playoffs for baseball.
- Swing at Moyer's first pitch of the game?? Check. Basehit.
- It's hard to believe that Steve Smith could be WORSE at his job than Bill Dancy. But he is. Boggles the MIND!!! Did Smith skip the coaches meeting where they discussed Jeff Francouer's arm? Was it out getting coffee? Did he have a part in the next Mark Wahlberg film?
- On Moyer's advance to first on the dropped third strike. That might have been the smartest play in the history of baseball and no one probably noticed. Moyer knew that ball was going to be in the dirt and a wild pitch... he lunged at the ball and swung to distract McCann and immediately ran to first without LOOKING BACK... It turned the line up over and although the Phils weren't able to capitalize showed me something I had never seen before.
- Smith sends Werth home... the entire crowd in one muted motion screamed "Noooooooo". 45K people in the stands KNEW not to send Werth. (If they didn't know not to send Burrell, they were SURE of it then.) I hope this guy is called to task.
- I didn't see Rollins at second, but the Iguchi play was soooo close. We might have caught a break, but we had to capitalize on it.
- Before the game, Baseball tonight, ran the greatest Home Runs in Phillies history. Howard's 2 run blast tonight might have been the most important homer of the season. That thing was SO HIGH!!! (Cox called it a 'little fly ball') The crowd went crazy.
- Thought Moyer was kept in too long. But sometimes you have to give the guy the benefit of the doubt. What a great outing by the "kid". If we make the playoffs, Moyer's leadership will be one of the MAJOR reasons.
- Another FINE performance by the bullpen this weekend. The bullpen gave up 1 run over 10.2 innings this weekend. That is a PLAYOFF type pitching.