HammRadio Today: 9/16/2010 --
Good News In Email... Playoff Tickets Are Coming... Too Soon?
9/17/2010 12:16 AM
Byline: Mike Cunningham
It's that time of year. Playoff tickets are coming. And you don't even know yet if we're in it. But every year you get the email and every year you feel different.
Just got my UPS notification that playoff tickets are on their way.
While some might argue that e-mail is dead. That email message certainly brightened my day. Or just made the anxiety level go up. 3 games up. 15 to play. Oh boy. Still I'm sure some fan somewhere (most likely in New York) will call this some sort of jinx. Yet every year, every team in contention sends out invoices in late August, with a deadline in early September, and delivery in the middle of the month. Whether you are 7 games out with 17 to play or 3 games out with 15, you have already made the transaction. Seems silly I know. Perhaps its some sort of scam where they gather all this cash up front, buy a bunch of land in Arizona and sell it to some ninnies. Always be closing, I guess.
As season ticket holder since the Vet, the yearly playoff ticket ritual has taken on a different flavors. At one point that missive was a envelope full of mocking hope. Then it became a perceived jinx. Later, it became a joyous present. Now, its welcome reminder of the ups and downs of a tumultuous summer.
Every year it feels different. In fifteen years I hope to take that message for granted.
HammLinks: Around The Web Today
- What Happens When Your Baby's Photo Becomes a Meme?
- Make's you think twice about posting personal photos now doesn't it.
- Whitlock and the NFL Truths
- Ah, it's that time of year again. And Jason Whitlock is on the case about Ines Sainz and well the rest of the NFL.
- Ashley Fox on Ines Sainz
- Wait that sounded dirty. I apologize.
- Infield Fly Rule and its Common Law Origins
- A law to make things fair. I still don't understand why it doesn't apply when there's a man on first, but not second. Although, wikipedia does its best to explain it.
- Happy Birthday Hip-Hop
- And No I don't mean the Sixers mascot. The Sugarhill Gang classic "Rapper's Delight" was released today and a generation of music changed in 6 and a half minutes. While the song has perhaps lost its cultural significance, when an old lady can rip off the lyrics or perhaps the uncoolest mayor, it was a seminal influence that still resonates today. "i said a hip hop the hippie the hippie to the hip hip hop, a you dont stop " Don't Stop is right.
- HammRadio.com's suggested On-Line listening Stations
- Pows of the Day:
Sugarhill Gang "Rapper's Delight" YouTube *** POW OF THE DAY ***