HammRadio Today: 1/8/2008 --
Junk Journalism: Tasting Hillary's Tears and other rants
1/8/2008 6:51 PM
Byline: Mike Cunningham
Junk Journalism. I can't stand it. Junk Journalism, is like junk comedy. It requires zero thought, little intelligence, that you might as well be one of those monkeys laughing at its own steaming pile of feces.
Junk Journalism. I can't stand it. Junk Journalism, is like junk comedy. Like making a joke after watching an actual chicken cross a street. It requires zero thought, little intelligence, that you might as well be one of those monkeys laughing at its own steaming pile of feces. That's what you get today, especially, when you see that certain folks biases are already built into their column, that you can't get any real truth out of it. Kinda like watching Fox News.
Or watching the coverage of Hillary Clinton crying. Really? Really. This is a problem? A brief show of emotion, and this is a problem. As far as I was concerned, she was very strong. She didn't break down in tears like Ellen Degeneres. She showed her emotion and held it together. That's not crocodile tears. That was a strong emotional woman showing her true colors. Probably a self, that we should have seen long ago. But to attack her for that is junk journalism. It's no different than asking Hillary Duff or Amanda Bynes what they think of Britney on the Red Carpet. It's ridiculous.
Junk Journalism also comes from the old Newspaper trick of writing point counter point columns. This works when it's in one newspaper, but often you will see folks like Dan Lebatard, take the "Devil's Advocate" road, because everyone else is writing the other way. Often these pieces turnout flat. Sometimes, you will see this when these pieces are tinted behind race, my red flag goes WAY up. It could be the white journalist, who claims the media's coverage isn't racist, when it is, or when an black journalist writes that media coverage is racist, when it isn't.
Sometimes, you don't see the context of the racism, until it hits you like a pillow to the face.
An editorial piece by Fatimah Ali today assails Hillary Clinton, rehashing old Newt Gingrich/Rush Limbaugh-era lies about Hillary Clinton. For that alone, this piece of shit, is barely worth reading. There is some worth, while Ali slams both Clintons, her husband too, while she promotes Barack Obama, seemingly out of now where. Why bring up Obama? We werent' talking about him, oh, yeah I get it, now. There's the pillow shot to the face. The veiled sexism and racism is evident, and really is unnecessary, but if you choose to limit your political choices based on the color of skin, I can't help you or Oprah.
Okay, maybe that's unfair. But then again so was Ali's piece. I should mention that I like Barack Obama, if he's the eventual Democratic nominee, I will vote for him. An on-line survey I took the other day said my politics were most like his. And I can't begrudge any African American for being extremely excited about a truly viable candidate of color. However, like the folks who vote for only one issue, be it guns, abortion, free speech, environment, it rings hollow. But that's your right. I'll defend that to the grave. I just don't have to like it.
If this wasn't the only piece of trash written today, I'd be okay, but no, Jemele Hill who has chosen to vanquish Roger Clemens, in what she feels has been the unfair treatment to Barry Bonds -- [Case in Point #1] [Case in Point #2] Which both go against her original opinion, which was asking God to kill Barry Bonds so he doesn't break the record of the more dignified Henry Aaron. In jest or not, Hill has continued to put out tripe that is not worthy of the Sports Leader.
There is a need for African American voices in the media, more now, than ever. But Hill and Ali both fall short of the mark. Especially when a white female anchor on the Golf Channel, mentions lynching and Tiger Woods in the same sentence. How does this keep happening, by the way? Maybe you need to have more African American and other minorities in the studio, in the newsroom, to be part of your every day life, so you can at least understand, why saying something THAT stupid is wrong and hurtful.
I just hope we get better voices than Ali and Hill.
HammLinks: Around The Web Today
- Well if you hate the Philadelphia Parking Authority...
- Here's your chance to watch them in action, as "Parking Wars" starts on A&E tonight. I wonder if they were following me, when I walked into the cleaners with my close for 5 seconds when I was ticketed. Okay, maybe it was 30 seconds, but it was so quick. I paid the ticket in Chucky Cheese tokens.
- More on Alycia's firing
- Think she'll sue? You betcha.
- CES in Vegas shows me things I don't need but want.
- You know, like an Air Guitar??? A what??? Seriously, an Air Guitar, see for yourself.
- Hall of Fame calling... It's for you Goose Gossage
- But not Jim Rice... that's stupid. Andre Dawson and Dale Murphy and Jack Morris all screwed.
- to Evacuate or NOT to Evacuate: Ah the power of words on the Wire
- If I was watching this show I'd have more of an opinion I guess. But I'm not, and that makes me a loser. Had I prepared properly, I would have been ready for the one NON strike show on TV, which is supposed to be the best show on TV. Instead I'm sitting up all night watching the first hour or so of "The Good Shephard".
- And no, not about the part where Sean Penn is supposedly with some Russian
Whoreswomen, but this Mariah Carey item:
Mariah Carey covets something belonging to Stephen Hawking, and it?s not his singularity theorems. Sick of writing notes during her two-day vow of silence before big shows, Mariah is convinced the theoretical physicist?s voice synthesizer is her ticket out of boredom, the Sun reports. ?I need Stephen Hawking?s voice machine so I think and it comes out in a robot voice,? the singer said. Apparently unaware that Dr. Hawking?s infamous DECtalk DTC01 was discontinued years ago, Mariah also seems to think it?s psychic.
- HammRadio.com's suggested On-Line listening Stations
- Pows of the Day:
Foo Fighters "Long Road to Ruin" Indie 103.1
Lemonheads "It's a Shame About Ray" Indie 103.1
The Replacements "I'll Be You" Indie 103.1
James "Sometimes" Indie 103.1
*** POW OF THE DAY ***
My Daily Spot
I keep forgetting to put this new feature on the site as a blogroll somewhere. But I wanted to give you a peek into some of the links I check out daily/regulary. I call it "My Daily Spot".
My Daily Spot
- Hot Deals Club - frequently updated with the be...
- KYW Newsradio 1060
- MSNBC Cover
- mbuzzy.com -
- My Way
- My iWon
- Philadelphia Traffic Reports
- Phillies 2006 Schedule
- Philly Future - Philadelphia Blogs
- Sports Guy
- The 9 for Tuesday July 18th
- The Onion | America's Finest News Source
- USATODAY.com - Pop Candy
- W3Schools Online Web Tutorials
- Windows Live
- Woot : One Day, One Deal
- Blog listing from Salon.com
- Hot Chicks with Douchebags
- Pogue's Posts - Technology - New York Times Blog
- The Superficial - Because You're Ugly
- MSNBC -- Clicked
- Hot Deals Club - frequently updated with the be...
- craigslist: philadelphia online community
- Lycos Your Personal Internet Guide
- My Yahoo!