At the Game: 9 thoughts from the Ball Park --
Chase Utley, YOU ARE THE MAN!
8/28/2007 3:42 PM
Byline: Mike Cunningham
First, what an experience tonight was. Phils pound the Mets 9-2, and Chase Utley returns with a Bang. You know he leads the league in hitting.
9 things about the game: First, what an experience
tonight last night was. I wasn't going to the game tonight. I had class. Go all the way to school and find out the class was cancelled. (First day??) I haven't been back to school in 11 years, AND THEY WON'T LET ME TAKE THE CLASS!!! Fortunately, I didn't give away my ticket and I still had plenty of time to head to the CBP.
I'm so glad I did:
- Chase Utley what can I say. I was walking through the parking lot when I heard the loudest roar. Batting 2nd, playing second base... CHASE..... UTLEY. I get in to the ball park, and sliding up the escalator for Chase's nice play on Reyes ground out.
- Cowboy Joe West strikes with the WORST CALL EVER. Jimmy was in the outfield when Delgado caught the ball. J-Roll only complains when he's sure he's right. BULLBLEEP. Cholly got tossed quickly. I wonder what he said???
- More on Chase... Chase steps up to a very loud ovation (louder than Shan-o's return last week) Ump calls time... just so Chase can soak it in. VERY classy.
- David Wright argues balls and strike. Gets in umps face with elaborate hand gestures. It's amazing that he didn't get tossed. He's a class act. He must have been talking about
- Pat Burrell's bomb was HUGE. That ball was CRUSHED. If Pat hits like this the rest of the season. I'm going on record. We're making the playoffs.
- There were a couple of weird things that happened tonight with the umps and Willie Randolph, that being at the game, I didn't understand? Where they stalling? Or what??? Any toughts? One time it happened around when Lawrence was taken out... or right after I forget. Even Jimy williams came out to find out. Later in the game, Randolph was out there again. Thoughts?
- Mr. Utley, welcome back. There hasn't been a finer game, since Darren Daulton welcomed back his buddy Lenny Dykstra, who was returning from injuries sustained while in a serious car accident with Daulton. Daulton hit a Grand Slam to beat the Dodgers in the 5th inning, where the entire Veterans Stadium was rocking with a seemingly never ending wave. That grand slam sent Lasorda into a tizzy, if memory serves, and he exploded in the dugout by tossing a water jug around. Utley's Bell Ringer Homer was crushed. Burrell high fived Utley, screaming "He's Back". Great Moment in Phillies History.
- In the 8th inning Nunez hit a foul ball that nailed a guy in the face on the First base side. I joked, "How embarrassing, to be hit by Abraham Nunez. He doesn't hit anybody."
- The Real Deal J.D. Durbin was "really dealing". I couldn't leave my seat because of his potential no-hitter. But then the runs started pouring in, so I never ate. It was well "Werth" it. Another great performance by Werth, 4 for 4, nine hits in a row. 10 consecutive plate appearances on base. Great job.
What's the best way to shut up a Mets fan? Beat them 9-2. Another 3 games, Phillies, put a HURTING on them!