9 Things About the Phillies Game Last Night
8/8/2007 5:09 PM
Byline: Mike Cunningham
Fun game at the ballpark last night... Here are 9 things that I thought about after the game.
Fun game at the ballpark last night... Moyer's shaky start was helped by a nice strike zone and he kept hitting those marks. Save for the opening homer, it wasn't like Moyer's was getting smoked. They were just hit where Phillies weren't.
He did a nice job settling down and had a few inning stretch where he had shut down the Marlins 12 or 13 batters. Moyers is going to get balls in play (which is why Nunez was playing tonight).
- My buddy came up from the Diamond Club to visit me. He had predicted earlier that Howard would hit 2 HR. We were talking behind 324 when Howard CRUSHED his first homer.
- Rowand's SHOT was INCREDIBLY HIGH. I hadn't seen a ball that high since Bonds 713 last year. The people in my section asked me to leave when I returned because those 2 hit their homers when I got out of my seat.
- The fans seemed like they were DYING to boo Burrell but couldn't because of his current stretch.
- I couldn't wait to get home and read beerleaguer to see who was giving up on Moyer after the first 2 innings. Yup... the usual suspects. It was refreshing to be at the game rather than reading along.
- Hidden Play of the game: 2nd inning Iguchi catches humpback liner with the bases loaded. That ball gets through, might be a different ball game.
- Roberson's catch was one of the best I've ever seen in person.
- Roberson's throw in the 9th got a standing O (he might have doubled Linden off if Howard was paying attention. Someone save that for Howard's arbitration.
- Jaded Phillies fans? Howard's second homer did not generate curtain call. "Hey Ryan, we'll call you out for 3. " Thought that was amusing.
- Did I mention how MUGGY and HOT it was. But I think that's when the ball jumps. Supposedly, but I'm no scientist. It was suffocating. Thank God we didn't need Moyer to go 7 or 8.
Phillies Veggie Friendly???
Last year or the year before, my sister tried the Gardenburger. Her face twisted, it was so bad. I tasted it. It was GOD AWFUL>>> But maybe it's better?
All I know is, last night I had a Schmitter for the first time in months. It was wonderful!!!