Eagles 2005 Week 10: Cowboys Fly, Sweep, and Steal, 21-20
11/15/2005 6:54 PM
Byline: Mike Cunningham
Eagles let the game go in the fourth quarter. McNabb out for next week. And the Season is probably over.
Cowboys Fly, Sweep, and Steal, 21-20
McNabb and Reid Blunder in 4th Quarter
This team doesn't lose games like this.? Not in my recollection has this team ever dominated a game, and then handed the opposing team a victory in the last minutes of a game.? I don't remember it ever happening.? Those who have claimed that Donovan McNabb has done this all the time is just plane wrong.? The interceptions at ends of games against Tampa (NFC Championship Game) and New England (Super Bowl) were during comeback from behind attempts.? The same with last week's throw.? McNabb never does this when they have the game in hand.?
Besides the fact that this was Dallas and losing the opportunity to gain revenge on the blowout down in Irving, TX, the Eagles had an opportunity to pull within one game of the Giants heading into the game next week in the Meadowlands.? Worse, the Eagles finally looked like the team from the last couple of years, with a more balanced attack and a strong defense.? That defense was able to get pressure on Drew Bledsoe, the defense stopped the run for most of the game, and only gave up 14 points.? Unfortunately the defense gave up 3 big plays that gave the 'Boys the sweep and the swagger needed to go into the playoffs.? The only joy this year will be to watch the Cowboys embarrassed in January by either the Giants or the Panthers.? I can't wait.
The Complete History
2003 Eagles Yearbook.
2004 Eagles Yearbook
Now on to the recap:
Here's the Breakdown:
|Lincoln Financial Field||Dallas Cowboys||5-3-0||ABC|
|TIME||DATE||Philly Coverage||Philly Radio|
|9:00 (EST)||November 14, 2005||WPVI 6||94.1 WYSP|
|NFL Site||Web Action||Eagles Site||Opponents Site|
|NFL Site||Web Action||Eagles||Cowboys|
HOAGIES -- Stars of the Game
- Offensive Line -- The Offensive Line played the game of the lives.? If you remove the penalties (6 false starts), this was nearly a perfect game.? They protected McNabb well during passing downs and helped the offensive capture 181 yards on the ground.? 181 yards!!!? Who knew this team was capable of that?? Is Hank Fraley in danger of losing his job?
- LB? - Jeremiah Trotter -- An absolute stud.? His pressure caused the big interception that turned into an important 7 points for the Birds.? He led the charge that held the Cowboys to just 58 yards rushing.
- RB? - Brian Westbrook -- Bill Simmons, the Sports Guy, called Westbrook nothing more than a 3rd down back.? He's not.? It's just unfortunate the birds weren't able to exploit his receiving ability.? But still 86 Rushing Yards and 1 TD was pretty nice.
KRIMPETS -- Soft players of the Game.
- QB - Donovan McNabb -- Completed high percentage passes through most of the game. But they were all short passes.? Quarterback Rating penalizes for short passes, despite a decent completion percentage (56%).? More than the pass that was returned for an interception, it was coming into the game with 2:43 when he knew he was too hurt to play.? We knew.
- WR - Reggie Brown -- 5 dropped passes.? 3 catches for 15 yards.? Not good.? And his biggest drop in the 4th Quarter that would have put the Eagles in position for an easy Field Goal to win the game.? Unacceptable.
- K - Jose Cortez and P R. Hodges -- Football at the very least is about field position.? Cortez' kicks against his former team seemed to consistently fall around the 10 yard line.? And Hodge?? While his longest punt, 51 yards, was his last punt, when the Eagles needed to STOP the Cowboys once again.??
Keep an Eye on'em:
DE - Trent Cole -- The rookie Defensive End playing for N.D. Kalu had a break out game with 2 sacks.
Running Numbers -- Key Stats
- 181 -- The Eagles waste their best Rushing Yards total of the season.? Reid looks like he finally understands the importance of a running game.? Um, or not?
- 4-5 -- Andy Reid's worst record since his first season.?
- 14-95 -- That's 14 penalties for 95
yards.? The Eagles played sloppy while they dominated.? These
penalties cost the Birds field position.? Most notably with 54 seconds
left in the First half, Mark Simoneau gets called for a block in the back
after Westbrook had returned the punt to the 45 yard line.? The ball
was placed back at the Eagles 23 and the Eagles were satisfied with their
14-7 lead.? At the 45, Reid would have pressed hard to get down field
and score another time before the half.? Could have been the difference
in the game.
Cheesesteaks -- Key Plays
- Jeremiah Trotter pressure on Drew Bledsoe forced the Cowboy QB to make a stupid throw, which Lito Sheppard returned 5 yards, inside the 30 and the Eagles scored easily on that drive by RUNNING the ball.
- Donovan McNabb tries to throw to Reggie Brown's back shoulder on a hitch and go.? Brown ran a go, McNabb throws directly to a wide open Roy Williams.? Touchdown Cowboys.
- Marion Barber runs for 26 yards to the Eagles 20 to set up the the Terry Glenn touchdown which put the Cowboys down 6.? Huge run after the Eagles had only given up 24 yards rushing in the game up to that point.
Wooder Ice -- Licks of the Game
- Michael Lewis hit Keyshawn Johnson high.? And knocked himself out of the game.? Johnson is such a big Receiver, that if you want to lay a big hit on a guy like that, it's gotta be low.
Eagles Blogs and Fan Sites
- Eagles History
- Nest of Death
- Eagle Scout
- Bird Blog
- WingHeads -- Fan Forum
- Eagles Central
- Ben's Eagles Site
- Brad's Eagles Site
- Brian Westbrook Fans
- Concrete Field
- Donovan McNabb Fans
- Eagles Army
- Eagles Eye
- Eagles Fan Club
- Eagles GalaxE - The Eagles Galaxy
- Eagles Nest - Fans straight from Portland, OR. That's right Portland!
- FAQ's for out of town fans - Great site for out of town fans.
- Football.com- Football Central without the NFL hype.
- The Floridadelphian - True long distance fans of the Eagles.
- Gridiron-Guru- A great fantasy Football Site
- Igglesphans-Message Boards, links and more
- Inside the Eagles- Eagles polls, fan news, mock drafts, stats, results and more.
- MacEagle - Great multimedia done in quicktime.
- NFL News Rack
- One Crazy Fan
- Philly's Best
- Philly Tailgate
- Pilsey's Eagles Nest
- Real Sports Network
- Ross's Eagles Site
- Sports Zombie
- Tampa's PHILLY OF THE SOUTH
- Tampadelphia Eagles Fans
- Turf Talk
- Eagles History from the Hall of Fame